Sunday, July 4, 2021

My First MUN (Model United Nations) conference

 

‘My first MUN’

        After my MUN (Model United Nations) conference, my thoughts drifted to the time I was a beginner. I remember how clueless I felt regarding the procedures. My seniors were using alien words like ‘moderated caucuses’, ‘draft resolution’, ‘unmoderated caucus’ etc etc. What a raucous about this caucus thing! I thought.

       Somehow I mustered up the courage to ask them what it meant. Very politely, they would explain what it was all about. I nodded my head as if I could comprehend everything but the truth was that I was all the more dubious.

       We got through the opening ceremony. My heart was racing and my palms were sweaty as I walked into the room. My opening speech went well. Thankfully, they couldn’t see my shaking legs.

       MUN sessions are long. 8 sessions with each taking about 1 ½ hour. Though the agenda (the topic of discussion) seemed complicated, I wasn’t regretting my participation. The sessions were intellectually stimulating. It was as if the actual delegates were present to represent their countries.

       Towards the end of the second day, the delegate of Pakistan was cornered. However, the delegate handled each question with a vigilant mind. Though not many countries were ready to form an alliance, the delegate wasn’t disheartened. In fact, he came up with a great draft resolution.

      At that point of time, I could just admire the sincerity with which the delegate defended the allegations. Looking back now, I could see another layer. The way the majority or the more powerful delegations singled out and shifted the blame on one country. I find it to be wrong but in MUNs, alliances and enemies do play a role.

      In my opinion, when it comes to issues like climate change or mobilising financial support to the developing countries amid the pandemic, it doesn’t really matter. We all are part of larger international community and  must work together. Easier said than done. I know. May be that’s why we have MUNs- to introduce young minds about the larger global issues. There’s no simple solution but debate helps us to get one step closer; to realising them.

       The delegate of Australia, that young 8th grader would have appeared a passive observer. I was an observer but by no means passive. I listened to all the arguments, learnt about various topics, understood international relations, the way of being assertive but not rude and so much more.

      Though I hadn’t won any prize, I went home with a smile. Why? Because it was with the knowledge of a lesson well learnt.

* No part of the write-up can be published without permission. In such cases, strict action would be taken. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi sayee! Great to know you enjoying MUNs! What was your speech on? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The topic for my yesterday's MUN was ' Mobilising Financial Aid for developing countries amid post-Covid situation.' I was the delegate of Guatemala...
      We had lively discussions on the policies undertaken by the governments, international issues, ways we can heal the economies and help hard-hit communities.

      Delete
  2. Excellent
    Congratulations, you are very clear about your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sayee, great to know about your MUN experience. Keep exploring..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jyoti Auntie. MUNs are truly a great way to develop public-speaking skills, interpersonal skills and diplomacy.

      Delete

'Will you remember me?'

  'Will you remember me?'   Lying on the monsoon grass, Amid the silence of the night I hear clashing and clinking Of the thoughts r...